Monday, July 27, 2009

I Must Be Crazy

I seriously must have gone crazy over the past few weeks.

Somehow I've agreed to join a team for the Wasatch Back - Ragnar Relay Series next June or so...

Not only have I agreed to run in that insane 187.7 mile Relay... I've tentatively accepted the most difficult legs of the race, a total of 18.4 miles for me, with difficulties of Very Hard (3.8 miles), Hard (7.3 miles), and Very Hard (7.3 - probably the hardest leg of the entire race)...

My beautiful wife was laughing at me last night, not because she thinks I can't do it - just that this is not something I would normally agree too - since she more than anybody understands just how lazy I am.

I think one of the reasons I accepted is because this will force me to go run, and run hard. Up Hills and stuff. I have almost a year so it should be easy, right?

Only if I stick to it.

So we will see how this goes!

As part of this I'm looking into some new running shoes.

Here are my current pair, Nike Free (Ooh... shiny!):



While still shiny, they are quite old and need replacin!

I'm going to look at another pair of Frees while I'm up near the Nike Outlet in a week and a half, but I'm ALSO considering a new pair my Barefoot Bro has been using for a while.

Vibram Five Fingers!

Speaking of my barefoot bro, the bottom link Wall Street Journal - June 6, 2006 is a picture of him after his first barefoot marathon taken by my wife! Cool, eh?

Anyway - Recently every time I wear my La Sportiva trail running shoes I hurt my ankle.

In fact, the last time I wore them for less than an hour, 4 weeks ago, I did something to my ankle that STILL hurts today. When I wear my frees or flip-flops my ankle is mostly fine.

So I want to try out even CLOSER to barefoot (without going barefoot because we've already mentioned - I'm LAZY. I don't WANT to have to pay attention to every step!) and VFF's are the way to go!

If I can finally find a price I'm comfortable with (and I'll probably end up paying the $70-75 for classics anyway) then I'll update you how they are working!

Woohoo go me?!

I definitely must be crazy.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Good luck! Christophers sister and sister in law have done it and we've heard great things about it.