Thursday, July 23, 2009

How to Behave in the Wild New World (Teh Interwebs)

Wired.com has a great new list "How to Behave: New Rules for Highly Evolved Humans"

Some of the ones I like relate to how we act in this now very-much-online world we live in.

i.e. Facebook 'rules':
Never Broadcast Your Relationship Status - This would seem like a no-brainer, but some people just seem to LOVE to be able to instantly inform anybody and everybody that they are breaking up with their current S.O. or divorcing or whatever. The one exception I would think is notification of upcoming nuptials - as I think Weddings ARE supposed to still be a Happy Occasion! (Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who!)

Don't Lie With Your Facebook Photo - I think it is great when people post pictures of way back when - BUT it shouldn't be used as a disguise for what you look like now. At least that's what I think...

Delete Unwanted Posts from your Facebook Wall - Hello! People worry too much about offending others - if somebody puts something that could affect your career or family life or whatever because they were your idiot frat friend from when you were dumb - who cares? Get rid of it. I also think, on the other hand, you don't need to be a Post Nazi about this - if somebody tags you in a decent nice friendly picture - might as well leave it I say - people are interested in seeing you the way other people see you!

Balance Your Media Diet - HA - this is just silly to me, but awesome. (I'd increase the games a bit, but even then that's not an every day thing for me)

Remember, Online Conversations Are Not All About You - There is WAAAY too much one-up-manship in this world. Don't be one of those. You don't have to contribute if you are just trying to make yourself look good.

Use a Plausible Excuse When You Call In Sick - This is just awesome.

There's No Such Thing as Too Many Friends
- Really. It's just not possible to have too many friends!

Don't Work All the Time - I think that sometimes it is good to 'do the right thing' but why live with regrets??

Anyway, I think that is enough from me - check 'em out and see if you like any of the others. Some are a little bit inappropriate for the tender brains of some of my readers, (and my-naive-self for that matter!) and for that I apologize.

And while looking at that, I found another Wired.com list of interesting items; "100 Things Your Kids May Never Know About" - I'm amazed how many of those I remember!

No comments: