Tuesday, May 11, 2010

42 Lessons Learned from Your Mom's Moldy Chicken Salad

I read a lot of blogs.

There are many people who read more than me and that is just fine, this isn't a boast, this isn't a request for comparisons. Although if you really want to share I would be interested in your blog reading habits... so I guess it could be for comparison! There are no winners and losers here. Except me. I'm a winner.

According to my Google Reader trends info "From your 289 subscriptions, over the last 30 days you read 6,860 items".  I've actually been trying to trim out the ones that aren't that useful to me, and it is definitely a work in progress. I think that I have too many subscriptions! One thing that definitely inflates the total and doesn't take much time are the art blogs I follow. I love art and illustration - those blogs don't usually take a lot of reading. Still - I am always on the lookout for a) New Blogs to add, and b) Old Blogs to get rid of. :)

I've noticed that there has ALWAYS been a trend among blogs - many of them very very good blogs with great content - to have TOO many posts similar to the title of this post.

Sometimes lists of lessons learned or tips and tricks are great - but not all the time! Overuse of this type of post just seems to be a gimmick to get more blog posts, page views, ad-sense revenue etc., or  trying to be a 'pro-blogger' who makes a living from their blogging. There really isn't anything wrong with any of those goals - but I think there are better ways of accomplishing your goal than to post nothing but a set list of , and an occasional list of 'X number of things you can do to save your cat from unwanted hairballs' or 'X things you can discover about your toenails through psychic dreaming' can add some valuable content to your blog. Even a once a week List would be fine, as long as that isn't your only posting!

Please don't ONLY post lists people! I would appreciate it.

Just for fun - I wanted to share a few of the lists I've encountered. Now I actually think these are all REALLY good lists, but after a while I think I'm just getting a bit of list-fatigue!! (again, these are actually great posts, and have very useful info - it's just to show you what I'm talking about!)

I like lists. I love making lists of things I want (LOVE Wishlists!)

Just remember lists of lessons learned and/or tips are powerful tools, but if overused, they definitely loses their edge!

No comments: