Friday, August 6, 2010

Allergy Testing and Diagnosis Complete

As I sit here dealing with a STILL itchy forearm from the last allergy test (see below), I think maybe it would be a good idea if I just became a bubble boy!!
Yeah that'd be GREAT!

Basically I'm allergic to EVERYTHING outside (weeds, grasses, trees, rainbows) but surprisingly I'm not allergic to many foods. I am sensitive to nuts (not Almonds or Sunflower seeds thankfully!), gourds (watermelons, squash, etc) carrots, and some milk products (milk protein, but since I've never really had any problems with cheese, I'll try to cut back but not eliminate it.). Good stuff to keep an eye on, but I really shouldn't have to worry too much. Nuts was my highest reactant in Foods, so I should try to be aware of that, but I don't think it will stop me from occasionally enjoying a Snickers bar!

So on to my 4th skin test:
Right Arm
See that big bump on the inside of my right arm? That is "Tree Mix B". I should find out WHICH trees those are... but as of right now I have no idea.

The "flare" (redness) was huge and the "wheal" was bigger than any other reaction I've had. This is what still itches. Yesterday the whole part that had flared had puffed up a bit and itch like crazy. It has gone down a little today, but still itches a lot. It's very difficult to not scratch it like crazy.

I have the results of the 2nd under the skin tests at home, I'll take a picture and put 'em up here, as they are somewhat interesting.

So what does all of this mean now that I know?

Option A is that I enter a bubble like I mentioned before. At the moment I can't think of many reasons that this appeals to me.

Option B is allergy shots, carrying an epipen with me as often as possible, and avoiding mowing the lawn (amongst other things)

So after the rest of this crazy summer is done and we figure out our finances, I'll most likely be going with option B. On top of that I'm very excited to try out this pre-exercise inhaler I've got now. For years I've felt totally fine while running, but at the same time I was always ridiculously out of breath. I thought "Huh, I guess I need to work on my cardio more!" but after all of this testing (and feeling the same feeling when not exercising due to the wear and tear on my body) I'm very interested in seeing if it helps.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: