Friday, July 30, 2010

First Allergy Test

Yesterday I had the first of 4 Allergy tests... A little bit of mis-communication during scheduling because I thought that I would be done with all the allergy testing today.

Nope.

Today's fun and excitement was in the form of 48 pricks of various allergens usually inhalants.

Dogs, Cats, Weeds, Grasses, stuff like that.

Here's what my forearms looked like right after the test. (Strange picture alert!!)

Left Arm
Right Arm
As you can see, the left arm wasn't as bad, although the picture (taken on my phone) doesn't really show the 3 or 4 strong reactions. The testing went up onto my biceps, 24 scratches/pricks on each arm.

My right arm, had LOTS of reactions. Apparently I'm allergic to pretty much everything weedy outside. Ragweed and Sagebrush were SUPER high, which explains the crazy allergies I had up in Island Park Idaho at our cabin surrounded by sagebrush. Not a fun time to be on vacation with flu-like allergies!


I didn't get a comprehensive list this time, although I want one, but I was able to read off the charts what was being written.
I am definitely allergic to cats and dogs, but I'm NOT allergic to horses.
Random but interesting as well, my level of allergy is the same for both cats and dogs, but I swear I have stronger reactions with cats. Probably because I don't like them as much!

Monday I get to go back and get the Foods portion of testing done, then after that there are some finer testing to find the stuff they might have missed.

I really hope I find out the most possible trigger to this anaphylaxis during the food portion so I don't have to worry so much about it anymore.

If I can manage other allergy symptoms, that'd be great too!

No comments: