Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Wisdom from the Beatles

I first really listened to the Beatles in Jr. High.

There was a big group of people I thought were 'cool' that were majorly fixated on the Beatles. By majorly fixated, I mean these 13-15 year old guys coordinated wearing entirely black on the 8th of December in remembrance of John Lennon's death! And really that was just one of the groups of Beatles fans.
It really was amazing the level of Beatles-mania that was going on in 1992-93 in a little town junior high in Northern Utah. And yes, I was swept up in it as well, though not to the extent of some. Beatles Albums were one of my favorite Christmas requests at this time and I was able to acquire quite a collection of Beatles albums on CD.
--As a side note - while my parents never REALLY cared for the Beatles back in their heyday (my mom did think Paul was cute), my mother-in-law still thinks the Beatles are evil. : )

So yes, my interest in the Beatles was born from following the crowd like a sheep. Baaah!
Quite a few of my integral life philosophies were influenced by some of the Beatles lyrics, and based on my Beatles preferences - i.e. the earlier less drug-influenced music - they are actually a MUCH better influence than other lyrical alternatives from that time.

For example, I present to you "We Can Work It Out" from 1965:



Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends. I have always thought that it's a crime.
We can work it out
Too often people fight, fuss, worry, hold grudges, etc etc when there are so many other things that can be done instead!
Try to see it my way. Think of what I'm saying. Think of what you're saying.
Too often people get too stuck on their own point of view. Most of the time you DO have a good point - but so does the other person! And sometimes they actually have a BETTER point. So it's worth looking into.
I have found that it is VERY beneficial to look at things from all sides, ALL the time if you can. I think it'll help you keep more centered in your life and not go too far off kilter.

Very Small
Lyrics and a few links below:
We Can Work It Out

Verse #1
Try to see it my way,
Do I have to keep on talking till I can't go on?
While you see it your way,
Run the risk of knowing that our love may soon be gone.

Chorus:
We can work it out,
We can work it out.

Verse #2
Think of what you're saying.
You can get it wrong and still you think that it's all right.
Think of what I'm saying,
We can work it out and get it straight, or say good night.

Chorus:
We can work it out,
We can work it out.

Bridge:
Life is very short, and there's no time
For fussing and fighting, my friend.
I have always thought that it's a crime,
So I will ask you once again.

Verse #3
Try to see it my way,
Only time will tell if I am right or I am wrong.
While you see it your way
There's a chance that we might fall apart before too long.

Chorus

Bridge

Verse #4
Try to see it my way,
Only time will tell if I am right or I am wrong.
While you see it your way
There's a chance that we might fall apart before too long.

Chorus:
We can work it out,
We can work it out.


It is also of slight interest to note that my two all-time favorite bands had their first breakthroughs in this time period as well - Better Than Ezra and Toad the Wet Sprocket, although it's really my big brother's fault I started listening to them.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I LOVE Toad and went to one of their concerts way back when. I've been a huge fan of theirs for a long time. Big Head Todd and the Monsters is a good one too.