Monday, September 22, 2008

Goals

In general I don't think that I am a very goal oriented person.

I don't keep track of everything I want to accomplish this week and check it off when it's done.

In many ways I do need to improve on having, keeping and achieving my goals, because it is something I feel I should do.

For a long time I've struggled with what exactly I want to DO with my life, because I have actually already accomplished ALL of my goals that I had!

When I was young I had the following goals: (In this approximate order)
  • Graduate from High School (ridiculously easy)
  • Go on a Mission (2 years religious service) - Awesome experience in Russia
  • Get Married (7 years now with the most amazing woman!)
  • Have Children (3 beautiful children Boy 6, Boy 3, Girl 6 months)
  • Graduate from College (Degrees in International Studies and Russian)
And that's it. All done. Now what?? Guess I didn't think through that very well now did I.

So although I am not a big fan of small goals, and I REALLY don't like New Year's Resolutions (If you want to do something why wait until the new year when you can start NOW?), I do think that having goals is a good thing. So I have created a large list of goals that range from very broad to more specific in order to organize what I want to do - and actually move in that direction rather than stagnate where I am.

Currently I have 5 broad categories, and 1 other category that doesn't really fit into those but could involve any or all of them. Each of these categories will get a post on its own in the near future as I gather my thoughts more coherently about them. Those categories are:
  • Physical - Exercise related, along with skills and things/activities I'd like to do. If I had a goal to run a marathon someday (which I don't) I would put it here. My goal of running more IS here as well. I just don't ever aspire to run a marathon.
  • Art - Painting, Drawing, basically anything physically created by me and put into some medium. I want to explore more mediums as well. Some of my more direct goals are in this section involving drawings I have been doing for a while. The pirate flags in previous posts are examples of my 'art' and link to my deviant art page as well.
  • Music - I could possibly combine this with Art, but this is less physical as far as its expression (meaning you can't see or touch it - cuz it definitely involves my body!). I've always been involved with music and want to continue to be involved - increasing my current involvement.
  • Languages - I speak Russian from my 3 years spent there, but I need to keep it up and improve it. I would also like to learn more languages. Pretty simple.
  • Career/Job/Employment goals - This last category is probably one of the most important, but one of my least developed goal categories. I'm still trying to figure out what I really want.
So as you can see - I'm trying real hard to get back on track so I can know where the heck this train is headed! Wherever that is I want it to be a fun and enriching ride - so there you have it.

Have a wonderful day and if you have any goals or ideas for goals that help you - let me know!

1 comment:

Nate and Heidi said...

Cuz! Ok--I thought you said that you didn't have a blog, but then you commented on mine. I'm so glad you did and now I can check up on you! I still haven't convinced myself to run a full marathon either. I think I'll stick with the 1/2 marathons for now. Good luck with the goals....it sure brings adventure to life since day to day can get boring sometimes. Good to hear from you. Cousin Heidi