Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Last Day of the First Thirty Years...

Today is the very last day of my first three decades.

Honestly I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about that.

On the one hand I feel like I'm getting very old. (Ha!)

On the other I don't feel any different from 10 years ago (although I was living in Russia 10 years ago and am probably now in better shape)... Often when asked how old I am the first thought that comes into my head is "23"...

So it is very strange and surreal to me that I will be THIRTY years old tomorrow.

In some ways I feel I should reflect on what I have an haven't accomplished, and move forward with a plan for the future.

In others I feel like that is a waste of time and possibly counterproductive. (Interesting Article from about a month ago can be found at the Boston Globe: Why Setting Goals Can Backfire)

Not that you shouldn't set goals, as they can definitely have a powerful motivating force in your life - BUT, don't focus on them to the exclusion of what's really good for you! Makes sense to me.

Kind of reminds me how I like goals... but I detest New Years Resolutions that don't really mean anything, but we feel like we should do them just because.

Okay this is starting to be more random than I want it to be, so I'm done.

To the next thirty years!

1 comment:

Kris said...

Happy Birthday Aaron! I'll be 30 this year as well. It's crazy how time flies by.