Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What are we missing?

What is this life if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.

-- from "Leisure," by W.H. Davies

The above quote is from this Washington Post Article I read today.

Written back in April of 2007, "His performance was arranged by The Washington Post as an experiment in context, perception and priorities -- as well as an unblinking assessment of public taste: In a banal setting at an inconvenient time, would beauty transcend?" (again from the article)

It is a fascinating account of one of the greatest Violinists in the world, playing on a four million dollar violin in a subway, and only a very few people stopping and listening. Out of the Thousands who rush by on their way to work.

It actually brings to mind an experience I had with my wife while we were supporting my brother on one of his Barefoot Marathons up in Rexburg Idaho. We were support but also there to take pictures, and my wife was taking pictures of BEAUTIFUL flowers while we waited and watched the runners go by. One older guy who was obviously a runners runner ran past, then stopped dead in his tracks, walked back near my wife and bent over and inhaled the sweet perfume of the lovely roses. He then looked at her with a smile and said, "Gotta stop and smell the roses!" and went back to running.

We are all so busy.

We all should slow down, look around and realize the beauty that we are missing!

I know I need to for sure!


1 comment:

Kakes said...

That summer was full of some amazing moments. Thanks for reminding me. :)